Thursday, December 04, 2008

Pushp Ki Abhilasha...

....A Flower's Wish.

* Mallika skipped around the balcony collecting fallen Bougainvillea flowers.
* She showed me a handful of papery magenta treasures.
* My mind raced back to my school days when we learnt a hindi poem by Pt. Makhanlal Chaturvedi called Pushp Ki Abhilasha.
* In those days we just mugged it up because it was part of our course, but somehow these lines have got etched in my mind.
* Why should it suddenly come back to me so clearly word by word.
* So overwhelming at a time like this, when so many of our heroes have given their lives for our country.

Read the poem~
Chah Nahin Mai SurBala Ke Gehnon Mein Guntha Jaaon.
Chah Nahin Premi Mala Mein Bindh, Pyari Ko Lalchaon.
Chah Nahin Samraton Ke Shav Par, He Hari Dala Jaaon.
Chah Nahin Devon Ke Sar Par Chadhon, Bhagya Par Itraoon.

Mujhey Tod Lena Banmali, Us Path Par Tum Dena Phaink,
Matra Bhoomi Per Sheesh Chadhaney, Jis Path Jaayen Veer Anek.


Translation by Prashant
I don't want to be a part of the necklace of the beautiful girl,
I don't want to woo the lady love,
I don't want to be spread over dead bodies,
I don't want to act snob, after someone offers me to the Gods

Just pluck me Gardner and throw me on the road,
which is taken by the brave soldiers to give away their lives for the Motherland !


I pray for the flower's wish to be granted.

*Peace*

18 comments:

Indian Home Maker said...

Beautiful words and how aptly remembered!

pink dogwood said...

I remember that poem from when I was in school. I am not sure how much I understood it then, but it is so beautiful.

I love your header picture

Sunita said...

wow! reminded me of my school days in Delhi ... Luved the poem even then (thx! to my amazing Hindi teacher). Thx! for posting ...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

zobars said...

Arey yaar yu are the coolest girl around. What a touching reminder !!! Hope your days are filled with joy and more joy.

Mana said...

Beautiful

bhumika said...

Our hindi teacher even taught us a tune which i instantly remembered when i read these words :)

strange how we used to mug up these b'ful words which suddenly make so much sense now.

loved the header pic!

Maya Sara Matthew said...

never learnt the poem in school but with the recent Mumbai attack still fresh in our minds the words certainly stike a chord.

Jo said...

Arch, I was just telling my mum about this poem a couple of days ago. It's the only Hindi poem from school that I recollect. At a time like this, it is certainly a touching piece of poetry. DD used to telecast it with a nice tune. I remember that too.

Jo

Lady Prism said...

Beautiful poem...

beautiful poem...

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is guru, i have been following your blog and now taking your inspiration i have started my own blog :) no really. I being a madhwa also want to contribute to the internet our hindu culture and heritage. hey btw Can you do me a favour..? can you put my site in the blogroll of your blog so that people can find me? My site name is fourthplane.com. Please do this favour :)

warm regards. your blog rocks!

Archana Srinivas Pottery said...

Thanks a lot each and everyone:-)

Sorry have been super busy with all the work in the new home...will catch up soon with your posts:-))

Anon( Guru)
Glad to hear that you are inspired by Rang- The Colours of Life.

This blog is just a reflection of the colours in my life...it doesn't talk about any religion/community at all.

Do drop by often.

Arch

megha puNAter" said...

remember this poem from school.lovely post.good luck with the new home,i understand how much work it can be.we are both sailing in the same boat.

Anonymous said...

At the moment flying down to memory lane! So thanks are due to you!!
Absolutely loved the post!

AshleyL. said...

Your blog Title Bar is incredibly beautiful! :)

Sherri said...

Hi Arch, How touching that poem is. Life is so fragile.
Let's hope that appreciation for life can spread peace throughout the world.

Anonymous said...

I remember learning this poem when we were kids some 25 years back. i sm not sure if these type of patriotic poems are taught now. the other poem "Khub ladi mardani thi woh to Jhansiwali Rani thi..." i feel b'se of craze for english our kids miss all these vernacular poems.

Anonymous said...

What a poem.. Beatiful meaning.